Monday, November 29, 2010

How did it get so late so soon?

"How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?" -Dr. Seuss

I have had my trials and tribulations here in Costa Rica, but I would not take anything back. While enjoying my last weekend in Costa Rica on the beautiful beaches of Guanacaste, I had a lot of time to reflect on how much I have grown.

The time really has flown these past 100 days. I remember getting off of that airplane, immediately hopping into the minivan with a family I could hardly understand (let alone speak to), and stepping into the place that I would call home for the next 3 months. I remember thinking how fast everyone in my family spoke, wondering if I would ever be able to respond to them. I remember how the rooster woke me up every morning and the big stray dogs walking down the street made me nervous. I remember the fear and anxiety I felt when a creepy, old man would scream "Machita" at me down the street. I remember my first bus ride and being convinced that I would never be able to find my way home.

Now I hold conversations with my family and friends in Costa Rica, not only understanding and speaking the language, but also being able to use the slang that I've picked up on. I walk into my house here with the same level of comfortability I walk into my house in the U.S, no longer worrying about keeping my room in perfect order. I haven't even noticed the rooster or the creepy old men screaming every morning. I catch the bus every morning and afternoon as if I have been doing it my entire life.

I have developed a level of comfortability, independence, and confidence here in Costa Rica. My life previous to this experience had been so pampered, so perfect. I have always been surrounded by wonderful people who would do anything to make sure I didn't feel the slightest bit of pain (thanks Dad and Peyton). As much as I have and always will appreciate this, it was a huge step to travel here and take care of myself for once. I have to admit, it was a little more trying than I had hoped... but it has all been for the better. The strength and independence I have developed here will truly help me move into the next step of my life. With graduation coming up and my recent engagement, I know that a lot will be thrown at me in the next couple of years... but I now have all the confidence in the world that I will be able to overcome anything thrown my way.

There is no way you can live somewhere for 4 months and not develop a sense of connectedness to the place. There are a lot of people, places, and things that I will miss about Costa Rica. I know, though, that the most important aspects of Costa Rica will always be with me. The people who have taught me, the lessons I have learned, the knowledge I have acquired, the independence I have gained... all these things are what will catch Saturday's flight with me back to the U.S. (I mean... along with a couple of souvenirs!).

Thanks Costa Rica... it's been real. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment